2016-17 has gotten off to a flying start – it seems with each (final) box score, there’s some crazy line turned in. But it’s not just stars setting the bar.
“Halloween weekend” featured its share of notable UnderDOG performances. Let’s take a look a few:
Sean Kilpatrick • 10/28 v. IND • 18 points (10 in the 4th), 5 rebounds, W
- An upset victory in BKN’s home opener? Kilpatrick has looked impressive so far in 2016-17 – he closed out 2015-16 strong (avg. over 17/game in April), is looking to separate himself as Kenny Atkinson’s best shooter. He was perfect from beyond the arc v. Indy and provided a huge 4Q lift.
TJ Warren • 10/28 at OKC • 30 points (13/18 FG), 9 rebounds, L
- PHX squandered away an opportunity to pick up victory no. 1 but it was no fault of TJ Warren, who’s looked much improved. Fully recovered from his season-ending foot injury last season, Warren is the latest Suns wing to see an uptick in production, eclipsing Devin Booker‘s production so far. TJ’s avg. a little over 22/night in 3 contests – his herky-jerky style becoming more and more difficult:
Jeremy Lamb • 10/28 at MIA • 16 points, 8 rebounds, W
- There’s a reason we pegged Lamb as CHA’s undisputed X-Factor in 2017. His ability to score off curls & create his own looks is valued in Coach Steve Clifford’s second unit. Charlotte came away w/ a big road W riding Lamb’s hot hand in the 4th • Lamb pulled his hamstring a night later, out 1-2 weeks
Doug McDermott • 10/29 v. CHI • 23 points, 8 rebounds, W
- CHI’s surprising 2-0 record might not be a thing if Doug McDermott doesn’t pour in one of his best games as a pro. McDermott scored 23 off the bench (5 triples) as he helped break open a tight contest in the 2nd quarter • You know how it was a good night? Doug went coast-to-coast after ‘stopping’ Glenn Robinson III‘s fast break!
Patty Mills • 10/29 v. NOP • 18 points, W —– 10/30 at MIA • 18 points, W
- With the way, Patty Mills is going, he won’t be classified an UnderDOG for long. He took charge v. the Pels on Saturday (filled in for Tony Parker – rest) and didn”t miss a beat coming off the pine yesterday afternoon (18 points in 25 minutes). Mills is a much better alternative than Parker but it won’t be a major issue til the Spurs lose.
Rashad Vaughn • 10/29 at BKN • 22 points (off the bench), W
John Henson • 10/29 at BKN • 7 points, 12 rebounds, GW tip-in
Austin Rivers • 10/30 v. UTA • 19 points (8/11 FG), W